Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yes, I'm still a blogger


I told myself

"today I will post a blog entry"

...whether I have something to say or not.

Sometimes you have to look deep for the story,

sometimes it isn't just staring at you.

That's how it's been lately and I haven't taken the time to dig deep.

It's time.

Here's the story.

Sunday morning...sun is shining.

Tony's at work and we've got nothing planned for the day.

Breakfast....? I don't feel like making breakfast.

"Who wants to go to Tim Horton's?"

I throw in a load of laundry, the kids all run to get dressed and for some reason the bickering starts.

Taggart is whining, Cooper is teasing Taggart, Hudson is trying too hard to be nice to Taggart and it's making Taggart whine louder. Reagan is being her lovely self.

So as we drive away I threaten that if anyone bickers or whines or is generally annoying before we arrive does not, I repeat, not get a donut.

We were soooooooo close, and then Cooper saw a punch buggy. Anyone within his reach got a punch which Taggart didn't enjoy (he only likes being the puncher, not the punchee). We were still okay, until second later, Cooper spotted a second punch buggy.

So I am now hearing very loud warning bells going off in my head, but I am trusting my children to stay in control. Therein lied my mistake.

Cooper gives Tag a second punch despite his very loud and whiny protests.

We are now almost in the Tim Horton's parking lot. I'm sure you can all guess my dilemna as you remember my clear warning at the start of our trip.

Hudson and Reagan clearly deserve a donut, Cooper and Tag clearly don't.

I sit in the car for a minute or two, pondering about what kind of mother I want to be. The kind that follows through with her warnings or the kind that likes to see her children enjoy a donut.

I even went so far to step out of the vehicle and call Tony and explain the situation. Now I know that some of you might be calling me pathetic right now for not being able to handle this on my own, but I remind you that today I couldn't even handle making breakfast. He agreed that the two guilty children shall remain donut-less. He was quite sure of this decision even though I question whether or not he would have made that same choice if he was the one standing at the donut case.

So, the question remains. What kind of mother am I going to be today?

I know that for some mothers, this is a no-brainer. The children were clearly warned, they disobeyed, no donut!

But I also know that some mothers would share my feelings of uncertainty. Tough love is much easier to preach than it is to practice.

You can draw your own conclusions to this story as l leave you with this photo and a small apology to Tony and those who have more of a spine than me. I will assure you though, that they both promised to be good for the rest of the day. I'll let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This used to be a bit of a problem for me when my kids were little. Now I think really hard about whether or not I'll be able to follow through on a threat before I make it.

Heidy said...

Good advice Sonya. Sometimes it's too easy to speak before thinking.