Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mental health day

An all important "Mom" skill is deciding whether or not to send your child to school when they say they are sick. I have been suckered in too many times when they say 'my tummy hurts' or 'it hurts when I swallow', only to have them jumping off furniture right around recess time. I have definitely learned a few things over the years and am not as easily convinced as I once was, much to Taggart's chagrin. Of course, we often joke that the one time that we send them to school is the time when we get the call from the school to say that 'your child just threw up all over little Johnny and you need to come and pick them up.'
But in this house, it is definitely the boys that cry wolf, not the girl. Reagan loves school and never wants to miss it. She has been known to shed a few tears, when the idea of missing class time, even if it might be for a morning at the bowling alley or the wave pool, comes up. So this morning, when she said she wasn't feeling well and that she didn't think she wanted to go to school, I didn't even think to question her. She must be sick. The day progressed without too many symptoms of any serious ailments but yet, the idea of going to school never entered our heads.
Sometimes a day at home with Mom (and a bit of Nana) is just the prescription a little girl needs. Some time to play a few board games, have a cup of tea and do a little crafting with Mom. As long as it doesn't become a habit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love mental health days! I have to say that everyone needs them here & there and I would say that 90% of the few sick days I do call in are mental health days! Love you, Leni