Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Parenting is hard

I am not under the impression that I am sharing anything new here, but I just have to say that this parenting stuff really bites sometimes. I go through times when I feel like whatever I try backfires on me. And the fear is that my kids know that I have no idea what I am doing. Which is true some of the time, but it is probably bad if they think it...right?
So I have intentions of teaching myself a few things. Seeing what some of the experts have to say when your 7 year old acts like his 13-year old brother. This is not a positive, by the way. So I buy books and sometimes I even read some of them.
But honestly, at the end of the day when I finally have some time to read...I don't want to read about kids and all the grief they can cause. I would much rather read a great fiction novel that takes me to another place or time and lets me escape that I am a parenting wreck to 4 kids. Okay, okay, I am not a parenting wreck...just an occasional minor fender-bender.
But I do like to talk about parenting hardships and challenges because the great thing about them is that we all have them. I don't believe the parent that says they have not, even for a nano-second, wanted to check out of their role at times. Hearing about other peoples kids is a great way to put our own into perspective. Encouraging words from others give us a well-deserved and needed pat on the back. It's hard, really hard. But of course, there is nothing that gives you more pride or joy either.
So one day maybe I will finish all these parenting books and by then my kids will be grown, so I will have to save all that knowledge to pass on to them when they are raising their own kids. They will totally want to hear it right?! ;o)

FYI - if you are a reader and looking for a good one...don't choose this one on top of the pile. It almost made me want to pick up one of the other books in the pile. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parenting sure does have its moments, doesn't it? But somehow we manage to get through them. My best advice is to have open communication with your kids on any and every subject. And also to be 100% honest with them at all times. AND...in those moments when you feel like you just want to check out, know that you're not alone. We all feel like that at times. :)